North London Brass Network?
At North London Brass we're proud of our heritage and the of the unique and innovative projects and ideas we offer. We're always looking to recruit new players and so, if you can be tempted or if you know someone else who can, here are a few compelling reasons that you are welcome to share about why North London Brass is leading the field:
- Together, we're one of Britain's largest brass band projects, currently with over 140 brass players and percussionists across our five London bases in The City of London, Edmonton, Enfield, Muswell Hill and Putney. We are still developing, growing and improving: this will always be the case.
- We have the finest staff team around, comprising of a dozen regular, professional coaches drawn from London and National Music Colleges, HM Armed Forces Bands and The Salvation Army. We have abundant strength in depth and always provide our Members with professional leadership and specialist expertise.
- North London Brass and our BSM Foundation are supported by our Board of Reference which includes one of Britain's most respected Championship Section brass band Musical Directors, Alan Duguid BA (Hons) PGDip (Mus), and multi-talented composer/arranger and MD of our Staff Band, John Holland BA (Hons) Hum (Open), providing expert guidance and support for our grassroots banding initiatives.
- We run music projects in five London Boroughs and offer sessions on up to four nights per week, plus daytime vocal coaching options. This is because we are backed by Four Hills Music, providing seamless access to similarly excellent big band jazz and classical symphony orchestra playing and coaching through our ENJO Jazz Orchestra and London People's Orchestra projects.
- We offer regular brass banding on three evenings per week with rehearsals on Wednesday evenings at all our local hubs and additional Monday evening rehearsals in Muswell Hill and on Friday evenings in Southgate.
- We rehearse in excellent premises, including our flagship central practice and performance venue at St Giles Cripplegate in the heart of The Barbican, City of London.
- We are experienced in coaching beginners of all ages through our flourishing Enfield Foundation Band project, funded by our Registered Charity (#1154826).
- We are local enough to provide banding in your neighbourhood, but also big enough to provide exciting opportunities to play London-wide events and to rehearse and perform as massed bands at some of the capital's finest venues.
- As well as local, community-focused gigs, we play the most exciting places, including The Royal Air Force Museum London, The London Marathon, Dean's Yard Westminster Abbey, The Royal Hospital Chelsea and more.
- NLB Contest Band provides a challenge open to all network players, but also free from pressure on those who prefer not to contest. We achieved 5th place in the London & Southern Counties Regional Contest (4th Section) in March 2015.
- Our band-twining project with Edinburgh Brass Band opens up new options for us to work collaboratively and to access some great performance opportunities.
I'm sure that North London Brass Members can think of many more reasons to join us, like how friendly and encouraging we are, how cool the staff are etc, so just go for it.